Friday 9 September 2011

Today, I am Grateful for my Hairdresser


I love my hair. I find it is my one redeeming feature. Even when I feel 'blah' about my weight, like I do  the moment, I have good hair. I am fortunate to have never really had a bad haircut either - well at the time, I thought the bleached blonde spiral perm I sported in 1993 rocked!

I always find a visit to the hairdresser solves my problems. If I get in a funk, I find a change of colour or a new style goes a long way to making me feel better. If I am ever at a cross roads with a big decision to make, I visit my hairdresser and the decision seems easier. If I am upset, a haircut makes the sun shine again. I don't know if it is the massage and attention to my head, the 'me' time,or the changed look that does the trick, but it always seems to work. 

I was a blonde until puberty, then became a murky baby poo dark blonde. I spent ages and a fortune trying to relive that colour, but have now resigned myself to dark brown and spend $11 once every six weeks with a 'do-it-yourself' dye. My hair has never been healthier!

I used to attend a fancy pants, super expensive salon, where I would spend the GDP of a small country to get a half head of foils done, but am very fortunate that the chick I saw there - super cool and very talented - has moved up the road into the back of a tattoo parlor and I gladly followed. Same service, one third of the price!!!


I rarely have an actual hair cut - when I was trying to be blonde, it was probably cut every 18 months, just getting different amounts of foils at each visit. Then I had Master Z and I didn't even visit the hairdresser for 18 months! It was down to my bottom, dreadlocky and not healthy. I made the leap and got it cut in line with my scapulas 8 weeks ago. Tomorrow I am having it cut  again and may go shorter - maybe to sit on my clavicles. Never too short, my face is too round for that - the pixie look doesn't work on me. I have a wedding to go to, so even if it doesn't get cut, it is so nice to get a professional to style it instead of the hour and a half it takes me to blow dry it.

I love my hairdresser and I am so grateful she is amazing at what she does, she has great conversation and we share a birthday (albeit I am 10 years older!), so that must mean something!

Have you got a good relationship with your hairdresser? Have you ever had a dud haircut?

Today I am linking up with Maxabella's Grateful for... linky, being hosted by Kimmie at 'a day in the life of us' - Hello Kimmie! -waving .


Chantel x







14 comments:

Unknown said...

I love my hairdresser plus she is a good friend of mine and I totally trust her. I had to see someone else last time as she was sick and for the last 6 weeks sulked. Then I saw her this week and and I am a new me! Love it.

Anonymous said...

i think it's the having to stop still, just sit there, you are effectively chained to the chair....no one wants to run out with those capes on right ???
Great Grateful post - thanks for stopping by my blog. Daylesford is a beautiful spot x

Seana Smith said...

Love a trip to the hairdresser, tho' I'm not a regular and I have 'lost' two good ones in the past 5 years when they disappeared in puffs of smoke from the salons.

Have had a couple of haircuts from a new guy and he's good... and close!

Like you I like to mix and match my hair, short then long then short then snip... it is refreshing to have a change. Nice to meet you via Grateful.

Naomi said...

I love my hairdresser. LOVE.
I am an every 6 weeks girl, but sick children have turned 6 weeks into about 8... come hell or high water I'll be off to see her this week.

I love the sitting still and a chance to indulge in trashy magazines too. I can't wait!

Unknown said...

I loved my hairdresser, then she left and they wont tell me where she's gone.. But the salon is gorgeous and the new girl is super good too so Im still happy.. You build relationships with your hairdresser!

Denyse Whelan. said...

There are times that I do think a good hairdresser is more important in my life than a good doctor..My hair is often my 'vanity' thing when nothing else works.
Have been going to same hairdresser for years, and she's sold up her business & sees some clients ( me!) at her home now. I have made my choice at 61 to let the greys win, and now between her skills and my confidence to do so, I like it! Great topic Cheers Denyse

Natasha said...

I love my hairdresser , she is based at home with small kids and she never lets me down, and she's not expensive. Natasha x

Unknown said...

Hello Chantel! Ooh I love your blog - it's so pretty! And I love that you are shouting out about your fabulous hair. And a hair cut is a treat these days, and the head massage - to die for. I hope you are happy with your cut and feel like you've had a mini holiday!

Thanks so much for linking up today! Xx

Miss Cinders said...

I love my hairdresser! She's my neighbour 4 houses away... which is actually 5kms in distance lol Her oldest & my youngest go to school together, so it's nice to have something in common.

I trust her more than I ever have any other hairdresser. My hair is hard to cut, so it's nice to finally have that.

Anonymous said...

So lovely to find your blog - I'm your newest follower! :)
I too did the blonde thing for the price of a small mortgage for years and years, and two years ago when Miss A was born I went brown and stayed that way. I'm getting married next month and still am getting my head around the fact I won't be a blonde bride, but I do so love the easy maintenance! If only I could get rid of those pesky greys. xx

Kellie said...

My hairdresser has just had a baby, so I'm enduring other hairdressers at the moment. Not nearly as fun! I've started to hold off on going, which means I have lovely silver highlights at the moment!!
This is my first time to your blog, by the way, and I love it. It's gorgeous. x

Anonymous said...

It's hard to find a good hairdresser. I have one where my parents live and I go there once a year when I visit them. I haven't been able to find the right one in this country yet.

BossyMummy said...

Grrr I hate that Blogger doesn't allow replies at the moment! Thank you all so much for the comment love. Its funny how all of us are so attached to our hairdressers. I wonder if they realise what a big part of our lives they are! xx

Anonymous said...

You've inspired me to make an appointment. I live in hope of finding the perfect hairdresser but it has been 36 years and I am still hoping. One day.....