Tuesday 17 July 2012

Murphy or Mercury?

Sunday was 'one of those days'. It was nothing dreadful, but nothing seemed to go right from the beginning.

Saturday night, the water had been turned off, so we went to bed without doing the dishes. Sunday, I woke up early to cook for a family get together we had, where I had to make a savory and a dessert, only to find the water was still off.

The main problem with this was that I couldn't clean the thermomix, so was unable to crush the biscuits for my jelly slice base and I had to do it with a mortar and pestle - I know, first world problems!

Then, the focaccia I made didn't rise - it was flat as a pancake, more
Iike a cement pancake and I realized the water I had used (the only water we had) was straight from the boiling kettle, so obviously burnt the yeast.

Once the water was on, I made up some jelly to put on the top layer of my slice, and then transferred it back to the fridge, only to spill the jelly mix all over the floor in the process. As I was cleaning the jelly, I slipped - just like a cartoon slip, with legs and arms going everywhere - and landed on my side. That was the straw that broke the camel's back and I just burst into tears. I blubbering mess, covered from head to toe in sticky raspberry jelly, now with my back going into spasm. Awesome!

It always seems to be that when I need to do things perfectly to take something somewhere, that things happen to thwart my best efforts - that's Murphy's law.

Or was a stronger force in action? Apparently in astrology circles, they would say my misfortunes were due to Mercury turning retrograde on Saturday for a 2 week period and things won't work out quite right. I thought 'Mercury in Retrograde' was just a cool Bloc Party song, but its an actual thing! It happens around 3 times a year, and often brings with it losing items, broken electrical appliances and stupid inconveniences. I am not that much into astrology - except I do show classic Leo traits - but I do read my horoscopes if I come across them and if they say I am having a four star day then I think "wow, I am going to have a great day". If they say I am having a tough time, I usually think "bah, that's hocus mumbo jumbo"!

Further info here.

I am a big believer in what you put out there, you get back, but after Sunday, I might just lay low for the next few weeks and hedge my bets!

Do you have days that just seem to go wrong from beginning to end?

(Sorry if my links don't work, using iPad as computer broken - more of Mercury's influence!!!!!) Linking up today with IBOT head over to Jess's place to catch the posts!

0 comments: