Friday 26 August 2011

This week, I know I am ashamed.....


I have always been a proud, boxing kangaroo flag flying, yellow and green wearing Australian. This week, I am ashamed to be Australian.

I am ashamed that our parliament is having to have a debate about an issue that shouldn't even be an issue. An issue that is a civil right and should be available to everyone. I am talking about marriage and specifically marriage between two people of the same sex. 

What angers me is that in this day and age there is this inequality among our society. That it is even an issue that we are having to debate is terrible. That people in same sex relationships have to fight and rally for legislative change is archaic. The marriage legislation as it stands denies people in a same sex relationship and their families legal equality and perpetuates discrimination and prejudice. 

It doesn't matter if you don't believe a marriage licence is worth the piece of paper it is written on, the fact remains if you are in a heterosexual relationship, you have the choice to get married if you want to. People in same sex relationships are not afforded that right. 

I myself, love being married and I value my marriage and it saddens me that there are still people in our country that are don't have the opportunity to marry the person they love. 

I am linking in with Yay for Home's Things I Know






Chantel x

4 comments:

Kate said...

I find it amazing that this is even an issue in this day and age.

Whatever happened to live and let live? Love and let love?

Kellie said...

Couldn't agree more!

katepickle said...

I am so with you on this... I am ashamed and disgusted to hear so many bigoted and down right mean comments too... who are these people who think they are so much better and more right than someone else?

Deborah said...

Totally agree. Doesn't feel like much of a free society that we live in.