Tuesday 27 September 2011

New Kid on the Blog

See what I did there??? Yep, the corny 90s shine through in my attempt at humour too! I am new to this blogging thing and I will say I have been surprised by the blogging community. From my experience in parenting, pregnancy and weightloss forums, I assumed the blogosphere would have a lot more negative inhabitants than it does. Sure, I have seen a few trolls that are clearly jealous of certain people and need to get a life, but overall it has been such a supportive, caring community to be part of. The disagreements I have seen have been respectful and constructively argued. I am sure there are a lot more that have happened in poor taste and have hurt the people involved, but I haven't seen that much evidence yet.


From what I have observed so far, it definitely seems that the blogging community can be likened to a village or school environment. There are the 'cool kids' that everyone wants to be. These cool kids are popular outside of the village as well. They have opportunities to promote themselves in the media and instead of any jealousy like that is seen in the school yard, there seems to be a respect that they are paving the way for the rest of us and are promoting blogging as an important social media tool. I think too, some of these bloggers are in this position as they are just so damn funny, witty and have a certain spark that everyone wants to be around.


There are the 'beautiful people' - the ones whose blogs are just stunning. There design is gorgeous, the photos are well composed and the pages are just awesome to look at. I scroll through the photos, dreaming wistfully of rooms in my house looking as bright and breezy and put together as the photos, then reality comes running into the room with vegemite on his face 


There are the quiet achievers. These are the ones who consistently publish amazing, insightful posts, but do it without too much fanfare or self promotion. Their posts are very well written and you know there is a novel waiting in the wings for all of them. I have found they are also often the most supportive and encouraging on other people's blogs. They are more than happy to share their knowledge and skills with others.


Then there are the class clowns - or court jester, depending which poorly contrived analogy of mine you are following. These bloggers post in a hilarious way about sometimes the most mundane of things and they have you laughing at every post. I love to go to these pages for that 2pm pick me up when I need a good laugh to get me through the rest of the day - but it is OK, if you are the court jester, you can sometimes have a serious post, it shows you are a balanced 'normal' person :o)


Then finally (but of course not limited too, just for the sake of this post...) there are the blogging 'geeks'. The one's who are really, really good at what they do. They get computers, they actually know about programming and not just where to turn your laptop on. They understand terms such as SEO and RSS feeds and their posts are often a great resource for the rest of us that are bumbling our way around our computer. They are PR and marketing savvy and are often able to actually carve out a living from this blogging caper. Imagine that! Many are not just about the technical side either. There are some wonderful bloggers that can do all of the above and also write creatively about their lives. 


Of course, like any village, not everyone is a nice, supportive person and some blogs I have stumbled across can be negative, moaning and just plain mean. You have the Esme Watson* gossips, Brooke and Taylor** bitchy cat fights and the Issy from Neighbours conniving. The beauty of the internet is that you can choose what you can click on and off and its very easy to not visit those sites.



So even though there is such a variety of blogs out there, the blogosphere can be likened to a village. So many different personalities make up a village. There are similarities, similar passions, styles and ideals. It is also an eclectic bunch with as many differences. The one thing than shine's through though, is the sense of community and the support.

How do you find the village? Do you feel supported?

Chantel x



*Showing my age - A Country Practice gossip - think Colleen from Home and Away
**Surely you know who these two are!!!!
***Sorry for the blatant generalisation and labelling, made it easier to write.




Linking up today with I blog on Tuesdays with Jess at Diary of a SAHM

8 comments:

EssentiallyJess said...

So very true!
This post makes mr wonder where I fit in? Not one of the big ones, for sure, but who knows about the rest.

Glad your blogging experience has been mostly positive so far. It is a great little village, and I for one have made some great friends.

Lifeasmummymax said...

Glad your blogging experience has led you to some great blogs. I dont know where i fit in there really lol It is like a village. I for one love being apart of it.:)

BossyMummy said...

Just read the last paragraph again - sorry for the atrocious grammar and warbling. I definitely don't fit in any of those categories. I think 'wallflower' would suit me at the moment and I am happy with that :o)

Gemma @ My Big Nutshell said...

Chantel this is very insightful. Love how you've grouped these 'groups'. Now I do have a bone to pick with you... you've mentioned Esme Watson but what about MRS MANGLE!!!!

Julie said...

Great analogy. It really is much like that. I'm glad you are enjoying blogging and finding new blogs... I think my blog is similar to myself in my school days - definitely not the cool kid or one of the beautiful people, not the class clown either - probably the quiet achiever - though my definition of "achievement" may be lower than others!

Gemma @ My Big Nutshell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Daisy, Roo and Two said...

You know, I think you've hit the nail on the head. It's like high school, but without the outright hostility and jealousy. I think when I see a blogger that is doing really well, or consistently publishing good content I generally try to learn from them whilst maintaining my own voice. Maybe that's the beauty of blogging - we all want to be unique, and no one really wants to be a copy cat - so we all just accept each other for the unique individuals and blogs that we are and write.
Also, totally agree about the online forums - reow!

Unknown said...

Late comment, but this is so true. I've wondered for a while what it is like to be a "popular" kid but I think I'll be content just being a quiet one :)