Friday 6 January 2012

Imma gunna be all Kim Kardashian and get 'simple'



"i wanna be more simple in 2012" @KimKardashian on Twitter.
(This was after she had celebrated NYE at a fancy pantz party in Vegas that she was reportedly paid $600,000 USD to attend.......)




I have only just finished catching up on all the blog posts in my reader from prior to Christmas - I haven't had a chance to comment on many sorry, but I am now up to date. Many of the posts have been about people's resolutions for 2012 or why they aren't making resolutions.

I am crap at resolutions, I have a difficult time sticking to anything (stay tuned for an upcoming post relating to the 12 wbt and my healthy living journey). My attention span is very short and this is probably one of my worst personality traits. It is the one I really try hard to counter, but then I lose interest and turn my attention elsewhere.

I know I need focus in my life, I know I need to be smarter with my goals and aims. I am on an endless quest to decide what I want to be when I grow up. My mind flits from one uni course to another trying to decide what to study, which direction to head - you would think by 35 that I would have some sense of direction. May be it is a first world problem that I have so many options available to me - that is also another post for another time.


The things I want to focus on this year, are my happiness and my family's happiness. This will mean looking at what we are doing on a day to day basis, how we are spending our money and how we are working towards our long term family goals. As part of this:

  • I really want to try to improve my health. This will mean continuing the exercise regime I started as part of the 12 WBT and try to rein in my emotional eating once and for all. 
  • I also want to focus on developing new and nourishing existing female friendships. I really miss having a 'best' friend close by - my best friend is unfortunately miles away and although technology brings us closer, it is not the same as having someone you can pop in for a chat and a tea or wine with and who you feel comfortable telling your deepest darkest secrets to.
  • And finally, I want to work out where I want to be professionally. We know what our family goals are, what my 'mummy' goals are, I just need to determine which path I want my career to take and head on down that path.

While pondering what I wanted from 2012 and reading everyone's post from the last week, I have come across many of you being involved in Debra from Home Life Simplified's 52 Weeks to Simplify You Life Challenge and I have decided to join in. I am hopeless when it comes to meeting deadlines, so this will give me something to work on.

The first challenge Deb has set is to create a list of what went 'right' in 2011.
I know many people had a terrible 2011, filled with tragedy, grief, sickness and heartbreak. I certainly didn't have a bad 2011, but I would say it rated as a 'meh' on the awesomeness scale. There were some highs, some lows and many lessons learnt.

In 2011 the things that went 'right' were:


  • We celebrated Master Z's 1st birthday with a totally over the top, not needed party, but we had fun with our friends, so it was worth it.
  • Master Z started walking and talking and hasn't stopped for breath since
  • Master Z started day care one day a week, and although he has had a 'bug a week', at least his immunity will be well developed by school time
  • TBone had an amazing year at work, completed a major project in a leading role and I am so proud of what he achieved
  • I came to the realisation that whilst I am working part time, there is no way I am going to have any progression in my role, so I may as well be doing something that I really enjoy
  • I realised that I have 10 years of part time work ahead of me, so I may as well use that time to skill up and study further so that when I return to work full time I will have lots of little letters behind my name, and a huge HECS debt, but maybe not much more.....
  • I completed 3 more Masters units in my MBA, so only have 2 left before I finish - then commence another one (I think -as part of my quest for many letters behind my name, see above)
  • We saw the way Master Z's relationship with his grandparents has flourished and developed a further appreciation of all that they do for him and us
  • We got a new car - red - as red goes faster
  • We spent several weekends 'down south' enjoying family and quiet times
  • We spent a week in Pemberton - and although Master Z was terribly sick most of the time, we slowed down and spent quality time together
  • I started this little blog and although I don't really know what I want it to be, I am loving having a place to write, develop some skills, meet new people and recording our lives for our kids to read later
  • I spent many fun filled nights with my mother's group girls and realised how lucky I am to have them drop into my life
  • We had many wonderful nights with our close group of friends as we try to make time to catch up in our busy lives
  • We welcomed a new nephew in June, who is growing into a beautiful little boy
  • We watched with awe at every new thing Master Z mastered as he explored his environment and we wondered if we could ever love another child this much - or if there is a cuter little boy in the whole world?
I mean really??? Not in my eyes :o) I perhaps need to work on the whole watermark thing though.....

16 points, not too bad a year, hey? I am grateful for the lessons that 2011 brought with it, but have a feeling in my waters that 2012 is going to be filled with awesomeness, candy, rainbows and dream fulfillment.

BRING. IT. ON!

Linking up with 52 weeks to simplify your life. Head on over to see what the buzz is about.

Chantel x


0 comments: