Sunday 20 May 2012

Herb Crusted Rack of Lamb and Poached Pear Dessert


I had scheduled a post for today, being the last day of the Gourmet Garden Blog Off / Cook Off and it was my show piece. I was happy with my post and hopped online to check out if anyone had viewed it. Only to find it had vanished, it was non-existent! I must have deleted it in my excitement last night - aaarrrggghhh!!! Anyway, lucky I saw it today, so here is a belated, probably not as shiny version.

I have enjoyed experimenting this week with the Gourmet Garden products. It is certainly convenient to have them in your fridge and there is not the concern of them spoiling like you have with fresh herbs. I have also found that they seem to be quite strong in flavour - a little bit goes a long way.

Today's recipe is a Lamb rack, with a herb crust, served with veges. As an added bonus I thought I would do a dessert and the Poached Pears was the best I could think of to highlight the Gourmet Garden pastes. I have never poached pears before, so it was trial and error, but I really liked the result - hope you enjoy it too!

Main Course

Herb Crusted Rack of Lamb

Ingredients - serves 2
2 slices grainy bread
1 rack of lamb - I used 600g for 2 people and it was more than enough
40 g Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Tbsp Gourmet Garden's Crunchy Garlic
2 Tbsp Gourmet Garden's Rosemary
2 Tbsp Gourmet Garden's Basil
2 Tbsp Gourmet Garden's Parsley
Salt and Pepper to taste
Dijon Mustard
Veges to serve

Method
1. Heat oven to 180 degrees C (fan forced)
2. Toast the bread, then whiz in food processor until breadcrumbs form
3. Mix the Gourmet Garden herbs, garlic and half the oil together in a small bowl. 
4. Add the breadcrumbs and mix together - I found mixing by hand was best at this stage
5. Season with salt and pepper to taste

6. Rub the lamb racks with some of the remaining oil
7. Add the rest of the oil to a heated frying pan, and heat on high.
8. Once hot, add the rack, fat side down and sear - 2 minutes is usually enough
9. Remove from the pan and place on a baking tray - fat side down
10. Spread mustard on the top of the lamb, then cover with a layer of the breadcrumb mixture to form the crust

11. Cook in the oven for 25 - 30 minutes - so the lamb is pink
12. Remove from oven and allow to rest for five minutes - I usually cover the tray with foil at this stage
13. Cut racks in half and serve with fresh veges - I roasted some cherry tomatoes and microwaved (I know, sinful!) some asparagus and snow peas with salt and pepper, oil and the Gourmet Garden Crunchy Garlic Paste 


Dessert

Lemon Grass and Ginger Poached Pears

2 pears, peeled, but stalks left on
1 litre Water
1/2 cup castor sugar
2 Tbsp Gourmet Garden's Lemon Grass
2 Tbsp Gourmet Garden's Ginger

Method
1. Heat the water in a medium saucepan
2. Mix together the sugar, lemon grass and ginger to a paste and add to the water
3. Bring to the boil
4. Add the pears, reduce to a simmer

5. Simmer for 25 minutes, turning pears occasionally
6. Remove pears from the water, drain briefly on paper towel.

I served with some custard I had mixed up the the thermomix, but a chocolate or caramel sauce would be divine!


Enjoy!

Wow, a whole week done. Check out the other recipes I have posted this week using Gourmet Garden products:

You can also head over to Gourmet Garden's Blog Off / Cook Off page and check out everyone else's great recipes.

Have a great week


Disclaimer: I received some products from Gourmet Garden to try out and am taking part in their Blog Off / Cook Off competition 

0 comments: