Monday 8 August 2011

Dear Masterchef Producers and Channel Ten.....


I love your show. I love food, I love cooking and I love to see what your 'average Joe' chef's come up with under pressure. I love to watch their journey as they develop new skills, learn posh words for a technique that Nanna called 'braising' and become a bit up themselves as they hob nob with famous chefs. 

What I don't like though, is the editing of the show. The repetition of scenes coming out of the ad breaks as though we are all so stupid that we will have forgotten what was said three minutes ago.

I don't like the commentary from the contestants - they must feel so silly talking to camera and having to break every task down into every obvious little step. Things like "If she doesn't put it in the oven, its not going to cook".

I don't like how you use music to create suspense, but then you ruin it by playing the piano tinkling bit early, so we know that there is a silver lining coming. 

I don't like the David Caruso stares into the distance from the judges as they taste the food, and the close ups of George chewing in general. 

So yes, there were many things that got on my nerves, but I still watched as I enjoy the essence of the show. The biggest thing that made me want to write this rant though, was Channel 10's coverage of the finale. This is a wonderful series for all the family to watch, get involved in and have our kids inspired. But then you decide to split the finale into two parts to try to boost the ratings of the obviously ailing The Renovators (does anyone actually get the format of this show???) so that the winner is announced a long time after any child should be awake when they have to get up to go to school tomorrow. 

I would be very interested to see how many people changed the channel over while The Renovators was on. I certainly did.

Much Love

Chantel x

3 comments:

Thea said...

I agree!!! And yep, we turned over to 'The Block'! hehe :)

Anonymous said...

Absolutely agree with you! We in fact stopped watching this series as we got fed up with the editting! It really annoys me you have to sit through an add break everytime anything happens....so they lost me as a viewer.

Anonymous said...

This reminds me why I switched off from watching Masterchef last year. I remember when the show was fresh and choppy and vibrant (like the food) It certainly needs a bit of a clean up doesn't it?