Sunday 18 September 2011

Sunday Session - the 21st edition







Last night, we attended my cousin's 21st birthday. So as I link up with Thea's Sunday Session, I thought it would be a good excuse to revisit some music from the year he was born - 1990. (Anything to get the 90s on my blog!)


The top selling single in Australia that year was Sinead O'Connor's 'Nothing Compares 2 U' - but that is way too whingy for me, so first up is B52s 'Love Shack' - came in at number 10 even though it was released in 1989.







One of my favourite grungy bands is Faith No More, and this one of their first hits, but it was still before they were a commercial success - 'Epic'.





1990 was the year of Roxette's 'It Must Have Been Love', Jon Bon Jovi's 'Blaze of Glory', Aerosmith's 'Janie's got a Gun' , New Kid's on the Block's 'Step by Step' and Milli Vanilli's 'Blame it on the Rain'.
But on the non-commercial stations, there was some amazing sounds starting to evolve. It was the year before Nirvana's 'Smell's Like Teen Spirit'and the grunge explosion. The west coast of America had many emerging bands with dirty guitars, and a black view of the world. Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains and SoundGarden were all in a garage somewhere on the brink of something pretty amazing in music history.

Next song is Andy Prieboy's 'Tomorrow Wendy' - such a haunting song.







That song makes me cry, so, to lighten the mood - my favourite song from 1990. Still a favourite, feel good song - and I love the film clip, always makes me smile and bop along - They Might be Giants 'Birdhouse in your Soul'.





Surely that got you smiling :o) Have a great week! 
Head on over to Thea's Do I Really Wanna Blog? to check out what other's are listening to.

Chantel x



3 comments:

Thea said...

1990 was a great year! That was my first year teaching and I was living in Toowoomba. I hadn't heard the last song...They Might Be Giants musn't have made it to Toowoomba. ;)

Great Sunday Session. :)

Unknown said...

I love the Sunday Sessions. It really brings back memories.

Anything by the B52s was quite different from the good old Australian rock, hey?

I LOVED them! Thanks for sharing your excellent taste in music!

xx

Katerina said...

I love popping past to your page for a 90's fix.
Being a teenager of the 90's I was hopelessly in love with the Grunge era.
I can still remember the first time I heard Epic and thinking i would never love another music genre more.
Think next week I might link up a couple of my faves x