Tuesday 5 June 2012

Pride

As Australians, we don't tend to shout from the roof our personal triumphs like other countries do. In my travels, I have found that Americans, Germans, French and the Italians are very good at telling you what they do well. It is not about bragging, it is just having the confidence in their abilities and not being ashamed to promote it. Australian culture is getting better, but there still is that tendency to "cut down the tall poppy" and feel uncomfortable when you read about someone 'talking themselves up'. 


To that end, I have always felt very uncomfortable showing any pride in achievements. I know that's my own problem that I need to get over, so I am starting here - with something very uncharacteristic of me.


I am not a runner. To look at me exercising, you would see a mid thirties, fat chick running (a 'fat runner' as Kim from All Consuming puts it). It isn't pretty or graceful. I don't run, I tend to shuffle my feet. I try to exercise regularly, and I have talked here before about my weight battles - at the end of the day, I like food too much and don't manage the will power very well. 


So it was a surprise to everyone that knows me when I entered the "HBF Run for a Reason". I stupidly decided that the 4km was for wusses and that 14km would be a lot better suited to a novice runner like myself. 


I trained for the 8 weeks beforehand, slowly building up my long run each week and then last Sunday, in time for the event, I managed the 14km! I am so proud of myself that I finally did something I was talking up and not just give in because it was too hard and I wasn't the best at it. 


I certainly didn't break any records and if I am honest, many people walking passed my shuffling body, but I finished it.


I met most of my goals, I didn't require St John Ambulance attendance, I wasn't on the news that night for having a heart attack, I wasn't picked up by the bus that drove at the end of the course that picked up the stragglers that weren't meeting the maximum time limits and if I hadn't had to wait in a toilet queue at the 10 km mark, I would have gone under 2 hours.


I am proud of myself, proud that I finished something I never thought I would and proud that I raised money for Lifeline, a very important charity. 


It was a beautiful day in Perth and I really enjoyed myself. My legs ached for a few days after, but I really think I could get into this running thing.


What is something you are proud of? Shout it loud!
Linking up today with Jess @ Diary of a SAHM for I Blog on Tuesdays. Head on over and read some really really great posts!


0 comments: