Monday 10 September 2012

Scaredy Cat




I am a 30 something, independent woman. I have travelled the world, lived in many different places, given birth and can conquer most things.

But, I must confess, I am a wuss. I have got so used to having TBone in the house, that I hate it when he is not here for a night. Fortunately,it is not often, but on occasions like tonight, I am on edge.

I am a bundle of nerves, I jump at every noise, every creak of the house, every snore from the dog. I keep the dog inside to make me feel better, but she is snoring her head off and the reality is she is all bark - faced with anything scary, she would be shaking in the corner, peeing herself.
I kept Z up half an hour past his bedtime to keep me company - then considered the consequences of a crabby toddler tomorrow and made sure it wasn't any longer. 

Fortunately tv has me happy up til midnight, but I will probably sleep in the lounge, as you never know what bogeyman might be lurking in our wardrobes. I will also most likely sleep with the tv on - as we all know intruders avoid houses that have infomercials on the telly.

Thinking about it, I have never lived alone, I went from home, to boarding school, to living with flatmate's to living with TBone. I could probably count the number of nights I have been alone on the hands in my street. But now is not the time to lament a lost opportunity for finding myself. Now is about snuggling under a blanket, with a torch and the iPad. Waiting for the sun to come up, or maybe sleep will come first - and really hoping that scratching noise is something cute and not something creepy and crawly. 



Linking up today with Jess from Diary of a SAHM for IBOT!

18 comments:

Unknown said...

I feel your pain!! I am exactly the same when my hubby is away for work (thankfully - normally just one night here and there!). I've never lived on my own either, so it's tough when you're by yourself - even if it's only 1 night!

ann said...

I love the odd night home alone!!  I always double check doors and windows though!!

Yvette Bowyer said...

I am so the same - especially when Drew goes away for 3-4 days - or even a night out where he won't be home until 3am!!! 

I make sure doors are locked and 000 is on redial! 

#teamIBOT was here to say hello :)

Lyndal said...

aaaagggggh i hear you!! im all good up until about 10pm. then all the lights go on and the loud music lol... thinking of you xx

salwa said...

I thought I would hate it when the hubby went away for work but I actually liked it. The house was that little bit less hectic without him. The only time I missed him was for le sexy times. Had the whole bed to myself. But I admit after night 2 I wished him home. 

Grace said...

I am soooo the same! And I've lived on my own for most of my life! I sleep so badly when Mr Surfer is away overnight or for a couple of nights. And especially now I have the twinlets to protect. Any creak, or slight noise...I'm all freaked out!  Hope it gets better for you x

Catherine RodieBlagg said...

I lived alone for a while and really enjoyed it. Sure it wouldn't make any difference if hubby were to go away for a few nights, I'd be the same as you! 

Kelly HTandT said...

Yeah I get it, I've never handled nights alone well. But the more kids I have, the stronger I seem to become. Don't get me wrong, the slightest creak still has me making sure everything is locked, but I feel like I need to be brave for them. That and I don't let hubby out much lol. 

Around Here said...

I am exactly. the. same. And I too, have never lived alone. I have very high esteem for those of my friends who live alone and have to deal with creepy-crawlies, taking the rubbish out AND boogey men!

Jess said...

I like the security of knowing Boatman is home, and often pull one of the kids into bed with me, so you're not alone.
A friend of mine has her hubby away atm, and she can't sleep either!

Kylez...aka...Mrs.P said...

I had to get over that fear very quickly when Dave started working night shift and now I actually enjoy it, strangely enough. I think what I enjoy the most is having the bed all to myself!

greatgoogamoogas said...

I have often felt this way myself even though I have a house full of kids to distract me.

I've been known to fall asleep with the TV on just to have some noise that would distract me from the sounds outside.

Kate said...

Sending some comment love back, from kate at 'Redemption in Progress'. I totally agree, everything becomes scarier at night! Every noise is amplified a 100 times and the wardrobe becomes menacing at night! I hate being the last to fall asleep in my house, cause then I don't have anyone to rescue me! So I completely understand! I'm a scaredy cat and not ashamed to admit it haha

Rachel @ TheKidsAreAllRight said...

I think also that it is the responsibility of protecting your children.  I seem to be not too spooked if I am on my own at night, but if it's me and the kids and no husband, I worry a bit more.

Three Quarters Full said...

I am a total wuss, I hate being on my own and night and if TheGamer is away I'm likely to shut the bedroom door and huddle in there with Dex until morning (because we all know intruders never open closed doors...right?) on the days he is home any loud noise results in me shoving him until he wakes and insisting he check the house out. 

always Josefa said...

I'm ok with the falling asleep part, but the waking up in the middle of the night and the no one is there feeling i really hate...

bachelormum said...

Oh u poor thing. I understand how u feel but I've been doing it for a while now and there are no creepy things ... Just try and settle your mind and enjoy the night of peace - have a bath, do a mini facial, just see it as a girl's night in. x

Rita said...

Chantel I lived alone for two years and I don't feel scared during the evening when I'm by myself.  But there's something about the night I think.  I used to be fine but since I'm married, I hate to go to bed by myself, I keep hearing all these noises and I hate it.